Electricity for Campers

Published: 13th July 2007
Views: N/A

When you connect to any camp site hook-up point you will normally receive a nominal 230V, single phase, 50Hz supply. You should find a label on your camping equipment that will tell you if it is suitable for this type of supply. The Camping and Caravanning Club will not accept responsibility for any damage arising from the use by you of any unsuitable or unsafe equipment.


The socket outlet of the Camping and Caravanning Club campsites hook-up points complies with the British Standard BS EN 60309-2. Your connecting lead must have a plug to match this socket outlet and a connector to match the inlet to your camping unit. Suitable leads fitted with the appropriate plug and socket are available from most camping or caravan dealers. Your connecting lead should be 25 metres in length. If it is shorter it may not reach the nearest hook-up. The use of a second cable should be avoided, but if used it must be fitted with the British Standard plug and connector. The connection between the two cables should be raised off the ground. Taped cable joints and ordinary 13 amp plugs and sockets must not be used under any circumstances. If enjoying a camping holiday abroad the rules and regulations may vary so it is always best to check.


Each Camping and Caravanning Club hook-up post is individually protected against overload by a Miniature Circuit Breaker (MCB) and a Residual Current Device (RCD). The MCB is a safety measure and limits the amount of current that you can draw from the mains. Most hook-ups on campsites have a maximum rating of 10 amps, although some have 16 amps. To avoid accidental operation of the breaker and consequential loss of supply make sure that the total wattage of your equipment you have switched on at any one time is less than 2300 watts (or 3,680 for 16 amp campsites). Each item of electrical equipment normally has its wattage marked on it. Beware of using ordinary domestic kettles or fan heaters. Some of them can draw almost 10 amps on their own! Special low wattage kettles and fan heaters are available from camping and caravan dealers. Each socket outlet of the hook-up point is individually protected by the RCD which is designed to cut off the supply in the event of a fault occurring in your connecting lead, caravan or other camping unit.


Pitch your camping unit and then make sure that the isolating switch in your unit is in the off position. Connect your cable first to the unit and then to the camp site hook-up outlet. It is a good idea before turning on your appliances to check that the electrical supply to your unit is working correctly. Use a mains tester, obtainable from most camping dealers, which will tell you if your electrical circuits are safe to use.


When your camping holiday is at an end and you are ready to go, first switch off the isolating switch in your unit. Disconnect the cable from the hook up outlet socket and then remove the cable from your unit.


On Club campsites, any loss of supply should be reported to the HSM as soon as possible. If the loss of supply is because you have overloaded the circuit or misused your camping equipment there may be a charge for restoring your electricity supply. Please do not ask camp site staff to attend to hook-ups before 9am or after 9pm.

The Camping and Caravanning Club will allow any kind of camping unit - caravan, trailer tent, motor caravan and tent - to connect to electric hook-ups on Club campsites. The Club will be responsible for the safety of the electrical system up to the outlet socket on the hook-up post. It is the responsibility of the camper to ensure that the mains electrical cable from the hook-up point to the unit and the unit's installation are safe. The Club will do all it can to educate and advise campers in the safe

installation, maintenance and use of electricity. Inspection and maintenance of the

electrical hook-up point system will be carried out by the Club on a regular basis.

It also reserves the right for Holiday Site Managers to instruct campers to disconnect electric equipment that does not meet recommended safety standards.

The Club does not require the production of an inspection certificate with any kind of camping unit but recommends members to obtain one for their unit. The Club will not accept liability for any loss, accident or damage caused by the misuse or the unsuitability of a camper's equipment, except if loss, accident or damage is caused by the negligence of any Club employee.

Report this article Ask About This Article

More to Explore

You might like